Villages in the Sitia Area
A well populated village, with a very interesting folklore museum. High on a hill above Hamezi, with spectacular views over the bay of Sitia, the elliptical Minoan residence is considered to be one of the most important archaeological remains of the Minoan civilization and would have formed an excellent look out post.
Renowned for its good wines, there is also the 15th century church of Aghios Georgios, with part of its frescoes still preserved. The famous Richtis Gorge, with its magnificent waterfall is close to the village.
Significant antiquities and findings have been revealed, including a bell-shaped proto-geometric crater with the representation of a hunter and a man on a horse and a golden mask. The small settlement of Kalavros is also in the region, impressively located on the steep coast of the Cretan sea. Furthermore, a wine famous from ancient times, made from the “liatiko” grape is produced here.
A small village by the sea, this is where the important post Minoan cemetery was excavated with 300 tombs filled with about 1800 objects and vessels. Many of these are exhibited at the archaeological museum of Sitia.
Aghios Georgios (or Tourtouloi)
A beautiful, verdant village with a fountain near a water stream, Aghios Georgios is a place of great archaeological interest, as a Minoan and Geometric cemeteries have been excavated, as well as a large Minoan villa. Among the findings are a wheel, several stone tools and other objects. Here, the caves “Megalo Katofugi” and “Mikro Katofugi” are located, both of which were inhabited in antiquity.
A beautiful village, where some old noble houses have been preserved. At the site of Platoskinos a post-Minoan tomb has been excavated, with a corridor and a large circular chamber, while at Riza a large and complex agricultural villa of the Minoan period has been found, with 12 rooms and a “Cretan Megaron” (a large characteristic chamber, a kind of living room). In the community of Achladia the deserted old settlement of Kimourgiotis is located, next to a stream. After Achladia you reach the small settlements of Paraspori and Skordilo, where a beautiful Turkish fountain is located.
It is first recorded as part of the Sitia province in 1577 by Fr. Barozzi. The Venetian church of Panagia (Virgin Mary) is located there. At the site of Tripitos, a guard tower of the Hellenistic period was found in 1978. A 2 metre high stone wall is still preserved.
It is first recorded as part of the Sitia province in 1577 by Fr. Barozzi. Minoan tombs have been excavated in the region.
A small traditional settlement built around a green stream in a region where a significant Minoan residence has been found, along with numerous valuable findings that are exhibited at the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion. The fountain of Zou is famous for its excellent quality drinking water. In the same region, there are the small settlements of Arniko, Pano and Kato Dris, Zaharino, Miloi, Sfakakia and Stavromenos.
A traditional mountainous settlement, with a Minoan shrine high up at Prinias. The excavations around the shrine revealed valuable findings. The community of Katsidoni also includes the small settlement of Santali.
Krya is made up of of two small settlements, Pano and Kato Krya. A cemetery of the pre-Minoan and Geometric period has been found in the area. At the top of the hill of Aghios Georgios there are the ruins of the Venetian castle Monte Forte or Apo Kastelli, built during the 13th -14th century. After Krya, to the left of the road, there is the small settlement Dafni with a small picturesque square, a large plate tree and a water fountain.
A settlement bearing a pre-Hellenic name, important Minoan remains and findings have been discovered here. lt is a very beautiful village that still preserves a lot of traditional elements. There are two Byzantine churches – Aghios Georgios and Christos.
A small village near Panteli river, Minoan tombs and antiquities have been foun here. The old village olive press has been turned into a folklore-agricultural museum.
A picturesque fishing village with a small island and a church (Aghios Nikolaos). In ancient times, the island was united with the mainland through a channel which formed two natural harbours. It was an important Minoan naval centre and excavations have revealed many of its secrets. The architecture and the Minoan findings, such as the vessels of Mohlos, are considered as some of the most important findings of this period. Northwest of Mohlos there is another larger island, Psyra.
A traditional village with a magical view of the Cretan sea, where ancient installations have revealed important findings, mainly from the post Minoan period. At the site “Ghalana Harakia” the first Minoan domed tomb of Eastern Crete was found, with 60 burials and a large number of vessels and other objects. North of the village, next to the small church of Aghios Antonios, the ruins of a Venetian tower are preserved.
This village took its name from the famous ancient city of Praissos, the capital of the Eteocretans. Praissos was built over three hills- acropolis, next to the river Stomio and was inhabited from Neolithic times. Near the ancient city of Praissos, the small village Vaveloi was built and in 1995, it was renamed Nea Praissos. At Skales or Helidonies, there is a cave where vessels and tools dating back to the Minoan period were found. An ancient quarry was found at “ravdia tou Digeni” and nearby at “Kiona”, the settlement of Aghios Spiridonas is located. Nearby there is a stream with a watermill (tou Figeto o Mylos).
An asphalt road, 5km east of Sitia leads to Roussa Ekklesia. lt is a picturesque green village with superb views of the gulf of Sitia. In the main square with the large plane tree and the old church of Aghios Nikolaos, there is a beautiful fountain built by the Eparch of Sitia K Axelos in 1877. At the site of “Anoiksi” a shrine with many ancient findings was excavated and at the site of “Kastri” the ruins of a fortified city with towers have been found. The district of Roussa Ekklesia includes the deserted small settlements of Kruoneri, Xerolimni, Mitato, Vrusidi, Magkhasas and Honos, with excellent samples of old traditional Cretan architecture.
A small village in Katsidoni Community, Municipality of Sitia. The village, 13 km from Sitia, lies at an altitude of 350m. The name comes from the Turkish word for “seat”. Visitors today can enjoy the shade of the ancient plane trees which form a magical landscape and relax with a refreshing cold water from the spring at the end of the village.
Sitanos is a small settlement located in stunning landscape, where the cave Okso Latsidi is located. Near Sitanos there is the deserted settlement of Zakanthos. East of Sitanos, on a fortified position with a complex of impressive rocks, the deserted settlement of Skalia is located. Skalia has a glorified history. lt was the “unconquered Castle” of Eastern Crete during the Turkish occupation, however after long battles and sieges, it was finally conquered by the Turkish army. The church of Aghios Georgios remains, along with a small water fountain. The rocky landscape is quite imposing.
One of the larger villages in the Sitia area, Skopi has historical traces from the proto-Minoan-geometric period (a domed tomb in the site of Droggara). Near Skopi, by the sea, there is the deserted monastery of Panagia Faneromeni, built in the 15th century. Another important monument of the region is the fortress of Liopetro, dating back to the Genoan period. Parts of the wall with the towers and several domed tanks are preserved. North of Skopi are the small settlements of Papadiokampos and Platani.
A village with the old church of Aghia Triada. In the region “Keratidi” a Minoan tomb has been excavated.
A traditional village built on a hill with a marvellous view to the sea. At the site of “Kastri” the ruins of a Minoan settlement has been found, along with valuable findings .
Ziros is a lively village, set at an altitude of 590 m. Its pre-hellenic name bears testimony to its long history, along with the antiquities found in the area from different historical periods. Minoan remains have been located at five sites. The lovely Byzantine frescoes in the churches of Aghia Paraskevi, Aghia Eirini, Aghios Georgios and – most importantly – in Aghios Nikolaos, date back to the 14th-15th century. In the church of Aghia Paraskevi the bones of the brave resistance fighters from Skalia are to be found. South of Ziros is the small village of Aghia Triada (or Tso), with a beautiful view of the Libyan Sea. At “Stalos” (a little old village) a Minoan settlement was excavated and at “Leivari” there is the cave of Aligaras, which was inhabited during the Minoan period. After Ziros there is the village of Apidia, divided into small districts with a beautiful view of the Libyan sea, with excellent architectural elements from the Byzantine, Venetian and Turkish period.
The village is located after Handras and before Etia. It is surrounded by gardens and fields, with picturesque watermills (still in use!). At the valley of Armenoi there is the church of Aghia Sofia, which used to belong to the notable monastery that flourished in older times, bearing the same name. The cave of the “Aghio Pneuma” (Holy Spirit) is also located in the area.
A deserted medieval settlement, one of the most notable of the period, 1 km north of the village of Handras. One of the most important monuments of the settlement is the church of Aghios Georgios and the ruined Venetian tower. Voila is the birth place of the Greek national poet, D. Solomos. There are also two wonderful fountains with spring water.
A small deserted settlement, west of the village of Armenoi. It was founded during the Byzantine period, but flourished during the Venetian period when it was the feudal property of the family Dei Mezzo, who built the famous three-story villa. Today only the ground floor remains. The villa Dei Mezzo is considered the greatest private habitation of rural Crete and one of the most important buildings of its kind in south Europe.
Located on a plateau, Katelionas was one of the most populated villages of Sitia during the Venetian period. Most of the houses are deserted today, including a well-built Venetian house, constructed during the first years of the 1820-1826 war.
The settlement is first recorded in the 1834 Egyptian census Papa – Jannadho. At the hill of Ai Lias (Aghios Elias), 440 meters high, there was a shrine and at the site of Monastirakia, the remains of a Minoan settlement were found. The name of the settlement is probably related to the surname of its first settlers. There is also a 14th century church of Panagia Eleousa with well-preserved frescoes.
It is located 16,7 km away from Sitia, on the road from Papagiannades to Lithines and was recorded in 1577 as part of the Sitia province by Fr. Barozzi. In 1954, Nikolaos Platon excavated 17 tombs in the area between Sykia and Adramulon, dating back to the pre-Geometric, Geometric and Hellenistic periods. A large number of vessels, jewellry, iron weapons, stone stamps and other important findings were discovered in the area. During the 1897 revolution, the Turkish residents of the village were trapped in the local mosque and burned alive by the rebels.
Handras is a village on a very fertile plateau. Old noble habitations and an interesting fountain are preserved in the village. Handras is made up of the communities of Voila, Aghios Panteleimonas and Panteli, where the old frescoed church of “Metamorfosi tou Sotiros” is located. The cave “Panagia Gounta” is also located in the area.
Analipsi -Makry Gialos
A modern coastal settlement and a popular tourist destination, with Minoan and Roman antiquities in the region. North of the settlement, in a small valley with olive groves, there is the small renovated settlement of Aspros Potamos.
East of Makry Gialos, an asphalt road parallel to the coastline leads to the small settlement of Goudouras with its sandy beach. During the summer season, there are boat excursions from Makry Gialos to the small picturesque island of Koufonisi.
A settlement on the east side of the valley of mount Thriptis, north of the top Afentis Stavromenos. The settlement is used seasonally by the residents of nearby villages for agricultural activities, mainly vineyards. The region is known for its wild beauty and the west view of mount Dikti.
It is located south of the village Roukaka.The settlement was first recorded in a 1368 document of the Duke archive of Handakas (Heraklion). Its name is pre-Hellenic and refers to the battle between the Lapithes and the centaurs, which was peacefully resolved (Odyssey o 295). According to mythology, Lapithes was a tribe of the same origin as the centaurs, described by ancient Greek poets as great and brave warriors and were distinguished from the centaurs as they had a human form.
The settlement was founded during the 2nd Byzantine period by the the family of Litinon. The tower was constructed during the Venetian period and was later destroyed during the 1897 revolution. In the important 15th century churches of Aghios Athanasios and Panagia there are marvellous icons and “tamata” (oblations).
A tourist area with beautiful beaches and crystal clear sea. The exit of the gorge Orinos is also located in the region.
Kapsa monastery, dedicated to Aghios Ioannis Prodromos, is located at the east exit of the Perivolakia gorge and is built on a steep rocky hill. It was probably founded in the 15th century, was later destroyed during the Turkish occupation and renovated in 1861. The view of the Libyan sea from the monastery is amazing.
A beautiful mountainous village in a landscape with pine trees, rocks and a wonderful gorge. There is a mountain shelter for hikers and nature-lovers. There are also old churches in the area, including the church of Aghios Dimitrios with beautiful frescoes.
The caves Apaloustres and Vreiko are located in the region. Archeological findings indicate that the cave of Vreiko was inhabited during the Neolithic period. The exit of the gorge of Pefkoi is also located in the same area, which became accessible to visitors when paths, stone-made fountains and shelters were constructed in the framework of the LEADER programme.
It is located above the tourist settlement of Koutsouras. There are old watermills and spring waters in the area. The “path of the pirates” crosses the deserted settlement of Tsikalaria and it is a beautiful route for walking. There is also an interesting old church of Panagia at the site of “Lughia”. The old settlement of Lapithos is also located in the area, with a beautiful traditional fountain.